Sunday, January 6, 2013

A blog hop on Spaghetti Squash

I'm so excited to be participating today in the Southern Girl Swap (I know right) hosted by Charmed Bliss.


Today, I'm sharing my blog with Britney and you guys will love her recipe.  She has done a lot over the last year to move to a healthier lifestyle while keeping her super busy schedule and taking care of her man. While she spends some time here, I'm hanging out with Allie over at Young Love. Make sure you make all the stops and leave a comment...there are giveaways! Make sure you use #SoutherSwapBlogHop on Twitter.

And now, here's Britt!

Hey there! I’m Brittney from Razorback Britt. I’m so glad to be posting here on Keisha’s blog. Because so many of us are thinking about healthy eating this time of year, I wanted to share with you a DIY for a healthy veggie you may not be familiar with- spaghetti squash!


When I was in grad school, a friend of mine (who was really fit) kept eating pasta at lunch. One day, I finally asked her “How do you stay so healthy eating all that pasta?” She laughed and told me it wasn’t pasta…but it was spaghetti squash!

She came over to my apartment one evening and showed me how easy it was to make…and I was hooked! We LOVE spaghetti squash at our house. I use it any way I would use pasta. I put marinara on it, butter and parmesan, or use it in casseroles. I know it can be a little intimidating to cook a new veggie, so I want to walk you through how to cook a spaghetti squash.

First, buy one. They are yellowish and pretty big…like the size of a small cantaloupe. Blemishes on the outside don’t really matter.


Then you need to cut it in half. Be careful! You will want to use a sharp, big knife and take your time. I usually manage to cut it like ¾ of the way, and then pry the rest of it apart.


It is a squash, so you have to remove the innards. It is sort of like a pumpkin. I find a grapefruit spoon works best, but just scrape out the goop.


Then I cover the halves with a wet paper towel and microwave them for 10-15 minutes. We like ours soft, so I usually go for 15 minutes. If you have an hour or so, you can roast them in the oven. You would rub them with a little olive oil and bake them (cut side down) on a baking sheet at 350 until soft.


When ready, grab them with an oven mitt- they are hot! Then just take a fork and scrape the flesh into little “noodles!”

Then use it however you want. This night, I took a little leftover queso and made a Mexican pasta side dish. Yum!


So I hope you try this out. The actual squash has a very mild taste, so it is a great substitute for pasta. Enjoy! Leave me a comment and tell me how you would fix spaghetti squash!

Good call Britt - even my veggie hating dad LOVES spaghetti squash...what a perfect way to introduce a new veggie..What do you guys think?

1 comment:

Charmed Bliss said...

This looks delicious!! I will definitely need to try both You and Britt's recipes!!! We also got 2 new blog hoppers today!!!! HOW FUN!